“Water, health, and compassion” is my Pinterest project. I chose this topic because it is beneficial not only to me but to other people. According to Science For A Changing World, about 70 percent of the Earth’s surface is water-covered. Up to 60 percent of human body is water; a human brain is composed up 70 percent of water and lungs are nearly 90 percent water.
Since a human body contains mostly water, our body and mind rely on water to purify themselves by breaking down food, helping the digestive system function, cleaning waste from tissues, and controlling body temperature. A healthy mind and body create healthy spirit; therefore we must use water appropriately and effectively to benefit ourselves.
Last but not least, especially nowadays, many areas in the world suffer from drought. In many places there is not enough water for farming and there is limited clean water for people to consume. In many areas, chemicals or pollution contaminate water therefore causing it to be unusable. Living in the country with full access to clean water, I feel privileged but many people who have access to good water are not grateful for what they have.
People overlook the need for fresh and clean water. I often wonder how can we help those without access to clean water? How to raise people’s awareness of using water wisely? How organizations help preserve and distribute water sources?
In order to find answers for these questions, I decided to do research on water, how water relates to health, and how using and treating water correctly is a way to practice our compassion. This proposal is an introduction and a request for approval for me to continue with my project. My Pinterest page is called ‘H20comesPassion’.
To help make my project more understandable, I will divide it into four parts:
- The first part is about information and facts about water shortage and usage; i.e: where the rate of drought is increasing and fresh water has disappeared.
- The second part is about main substance of our bodies. That is water. How does water regulate and affect our bodies?
- The third part is about our health. Health can be examined in body, mind, and spirit. In what way does water affect our health? What happens if we consume contaminated, polluted water?
- The final part is about compassion. Compassion comes from our awareness that people need fresh, clean water. Compassion comes from our awareness of situations where people don’t have enough or no drinking water. It also comes from our contribution to help people have sources of fresh water.
For each part I will use different sources below to illustrate my points. I hope this will help people easily follow my project.
Kinds of sources I will use and why they will benefit my project:
- Books: such as Encyclopedia of Water, History of Water and Humankind, Life’s matrix, your body: many cries for water, etc. This source provides me information about components of water, how our body is made up of water, how it affects to our body, how it affects us on psychological and spiritual dimension.
- Websites: government websites, county websites about water, tap water, contaminated water. This source provides me the reality of water we use now in daily life, how it is contaminated by human activities, how it is treated to be our drinking water or tap water. It also provides how government, states, counties raise an awareness of people about water issues.
- Non-profit organization websites: shows us the other side of drinking water that some government or states website do not reveal. It also shows us that how those non-profit organizations have done to provide fresh water for people, or to protest against water companies that ignore water quality.
- Journals: e-sources about water, medical journals of how water affects on the body.
- Video: documentary movie of water.
- Graphs, Charts, recordings, video clips, and broadcasts: Those sources help me examine my project in different angles, both in qualitative and quantitative.
This proposal is just the first step for me on my quest to understand more about water. There are different approaches to this issue and I would like to invite any comment, suggestion or advice on my proposal. Your comments will allow me examine water more holistically.
Please follow me on my Pinterest page and feel free to leave a comment.